Sunday, March 14, 2010

I am, but I want to be

A gap of eight months after the first post. This is an extreme form of writer's block. Mental inertia. A lot of us are not as successful in life as we would want to be because of this inertia. We are something, and we want to be something else. Sit back and think about why you are not something else. Let me follow my advice. I am a reasonably successful prorprietor of a very small non-government educational institution. I teach 12th grade students, physics and mathematics, that prepares them to appear for exams that , will enable them to enter engineering or medical school (something like the SAT in the US). The reason for my reasonable success is my communication skill. I try to make my students understand the principles underlying 12th grade math and physics at a fundamental level. I try and make them see, how concepts in physics and mathematics arise from the day to day lives of a few thinking and intelligent human beings. Oh yes, and this approach has transformed the mind-set of some of my thinking students, who then tell their juniors 'Atul is such a good teacher' , who therefore enroll in my institution.

However I have always wanted to be something else. I want to be the 'scientist' who will finally explain 'consciousness'. An explanation that is consistent with all of physics and biology. Why am I not this 'something else'? My next post will hint at an answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment